africa

UN to FG: Spare no effort to bring perpetrators of Zamfara killings to justice


Antonio Guterres, secretary-general of the United Nations (UN), has condemned the recent attacks on residents in Zamfara.

TheCable had reported how bandits invaded about five communities located in Bukkuyum and Anka LGAs of the state last week.

Survivors of the attack said bandits killed over 200 villagers and set many houses ablaze, but the state had said 58 people were killed.

Ibrahim Dosara, Zamfara commissioner for information, reportedly blamed bandits’ informants for the attacks, while President Muhammadu Buhari had promised that his administration would “smoke out” the perpetrators.

“The latest attacks on innocent people by the bandits is an act of desperation by mass murderers, now under relentless pressure from our military forces who are well equipped to effectively confront these enemies of humanity,” Buhari had said.

According to a statement issued on Monday by Stephane Dujarric, the secretary-general’s spokesman, Guterres condoled with families affected and asked the federal government to fish out those responsible.

“The Secretary-General strongly condemns the appalling attacks perpetrated over the weekend in Nigeria’s Zamfara State in which scores of civilians were killed. He extends his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families,” the statement reads.

“The Secretary-General urges the Nigerian authorities to spare no effort in bringing those responsible for these heinous crimes to justice. 

“The Secretary-General reaffirms the solidarity and support of the United Nations to the Government and people of Nigeria in their fight against terrorism, violent extremism and organized crime.”



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more