Latest updates: Nicola Sturgeon says Scottish and Welsh governments think tougher restrictions would help identify cases coming in to UK
- Six Omicron cases in Scotland as ministers resist calls for tougher rules
- School staff and pupils in Essex tested for Omicron Covid variant
- Omicron Covid variant poses very high global risk, says WHO
- Booster rollout could be rapidly expanded in UK to tackle Omicron
- Global coronavirus – latest updates
Sturgeon stresses that there is “a huge amount that we do not yet know” about the variant.
The number of mutations suggest it might be more transmissible. But more data and analysis is required, and if it is more transmissible, they will have to find out by how much.