Fury has claimed that he only has two or three fights left in his professional career, despite unveiling an opponent hit list which includes Dillian Whyte, Anthony Joshua and Derek Chisora
Tyson Fury has claimed he only has two or three fights left in his career before retirement, despite previously making a five-opponent wish-list.
The ‘Gypsy King’ is currently in training camp making preparations to face Deontay Wilder for the third time after a historic stoppage victory in Las Vegas back in February 2020.
But he has now fuelled fresh retirement links, after revealing that his career may only be “two or three more fights”.
“Everybody wants to talk to me about the Joshua fight. They don’t care about the fight that I’m having,” Fury told Gary Neville’s The Overlap.
“All of a sudden, they want me to look over what I’m doing and then get chinned. I’m laid on my back flat by Wilder and he’s taking my position.
“I’ve only got, two, three fights left, because there’s no more challenges. They’ve all been beaten, I’ve got Wilder next and provided I get through that, then I’ve got AJ.”
The 33-year-old has previously stated it could be heading towards the end of his career, but is extremely keen to make the undisputed clash with Joshua after it broke down this year.
And he has revealed previously his five-fight hit list plan for after the Wilder fight, when he looks to remain undefeated and add further names to his resume.
“I have a bucket list and my next five fights in mind,” Fury told BT Sport Boxing. I am going to have a December fight after this, because Joshua won’t happen then, it’ll happen in March.
“It’s Wilder on October 9 – Dillian Whyte in December in a UK stadium where I will shut him up once and for all.
“Then Joshua in March in Saudi Arabia and then a rematch back here in Wembley. Then I will fight Chisora in my fifth and final fight.”
Fury was set to face Joshua in Saudi Arabia this summer, but a contract dispute with Wilder led to its collapse, amid fears that he was going to have to pay his famous foe up to £70 million.
But the lineal heavyweight champion has conceded that he was “never optimistic” that a domestic showdown with AJ would present itself, despite the contract being signed.
“I have never been optimistic about this fight happening, even when the fight was agreed initially and we were set to go at it in Saudi Arabia,” Fury continued. “But I still wasn’t optimistic about it, and guess what it never happened, but I do feel this fight will happen eventually.
“I do think sooner or later it will happen, even if we have to go completely AWOL and bin all the belts to make the fight happen between us for whatever reason.
“I am willing to do that, but I am not sure he is.”