Teemu Pukki strikes again as leaders Norwich battle to win at Wycombe

Teemu Pukki and Adam Idah both found the net in the second half as Norwich restored their seven-point lead at the top of the Championship with a comfortable 2-0 win over bottom club Wycombe.

Gareth Ainsworth’s side kept the visitors goalless for 51 minutes, but an 18th goal of the season for Pukki broke the deadlock and Idah wrapped things up three minutes from time. Victory means Daniel Farke’s team are now 10 points clear of third-placed Watford and on course for an immediate Premier League return.

“I’m always happy to get back to the dressing room with a well-deserved win, two goals and a clean sheet,” Farke said. “We are absolutely happy with 70 points at this stage. But we know we have to be relentless and keep going. I want to have 80 points as soon as possible. If you’re 10 points clear of relegation, you’re probably safe. But if you’re fighting for promotion that gap can close really quickly.”

Mario Vrancic had scored a stoppage-time winner from a free-kick when these sides met in October at Carrow Road. He stepped up again from a similar position early on but, this time, his effort was kept out by David Stockdale. Anis Mehmeti went close for the hosts, combining with Uche Ikpeazu before unleashing a left-footed shot just wide of the goal.

Wycombe saw penalty shouts waved away as Mehmeti was felled, before Norwich began to take control of the game with half-time approaching. Kenny McLean dragged his left-footed shot wide before Emiliano Buendía’s looping header hit the bar. The rebound fell to Pukki, who could only blast over.

The second half began with Onel Hernández inexplicably planting a free header wide of the goal, before Norwich took the lead through Pukki. Max Aarons’ low cross found the Finland international in the are and his shot deflected in off Josh Knight for his 18th league goal of the season.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

Norwich kept pressing in search of a second goal, with Hernández poking the ball wide when one-on-one with Stockdale. Ainsworth took drastic measures to change the game, making five substitutions at once midway through the second half. It helped Wycombe get back into the game, with substitute Scott Kashket missing two chances to equalise.

The leaders sealed a hard-fought victory two minutes from time, Idah bundling the ball home after Stockdale had saved well from McLean. Defeat leaves Wycombe 11 points from safety and in need of a miracle to avoid a quick return to League One.


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more