politics

Takeaway pints set to BANNED in third national lockdown


TAKEAWAY alcohol is expected to be be banned under the new lockdown rules, The Sun understands.

Brits will not be allowed to go to a pub and order a pint or glass of wine to take away under tough new crackdown rules Boris Johnson is expected to announce at 8pm tonight.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

Brits won't be allowed to get take-away alcohol anymore under new lockdown rules

1

Brits won’t be allowed to get take-away alcohol anymore under new lockdown rulesCredit: Alamy Live News

However, it’s thought that take-away food – including coffees and McDonalds – will be allowed to operate as usual.

Brits are already banned from going to the pub in the whole of England – except the Isles of Scilly – after everywhere was put into Tier 3 or 4 at the end of last year.

But take away pints have been allowed, meaning Brits have endured freezing temperatures to enjoy a drink outside with pals.

Experts believe people are less likely to social distance once they’ve had a drink.

This is another devastating blow for the hospitality industry as thousands of pubs will face collapse.

A £1.6billion “rent backlog” has built up in the sector after a ban on evictions was introduced in the early days of the pandemic, and then extended.


It came as:


Many independent pubs and restaurants have not paid rent for nine months nor reached a deal with their landlord and will be around £50,000 in arrears by Christmas.

“If they have to repay their rent, it is curtains for most operators, whether large or small”, Mr Osmond said.

READ  How UK government misrepresented Covid projections – explained

The founder of Punch Taverns, Pizza Express and most recently, Various Eateries, added: “For the survival of hospitality this needs sorting out.

“None of us wants to see our favourite pub or restaurant boarded up for ever.”

The PM will address the nation at 8pm tonight where he is set to reveal new nation-wide lockdown rules for all of England.

Mr Johnson warned there was “no question” of tougher measures coming “in due course” after cases spiral out of control and the NHS struggles with the numbers of patients in hospitals.

Schools are expected to be shut for at least a month – and possibly until February half-term.

The nation may be told to stay at home again like in the March and November lockdowns.

 

A No10 spokesman said: ‘The spread of the new variant of COVID-19 has led to rapidly escalating case numbers across the country.

“The Prime Minister is clear that further steps must now be taken to arrest this rise and to protect the NHS and save lives.

“He will set those out this evening.”

It comes as it was reported this evening that the lockdown is set to close ALL primary and secondary schools in England for at least a month – and possibly until February half-term.

Labour leader Keir Starmer has demanded all schools shut under a new national shutdown with the virus raging “out of control”.

“I’m afraid the closure of schools is now inevitable and therefore that needs to be part of… the national plan for further restrictions.”

New YouGov polling suggests a whopping 79 per cent of Brits support another national lockdown – even though it’s not yet clear what the latest measures will include.

Parliament will also be recalled today to sit on Wednesday – meaning there will likely be a vote on the measures, and they are expected to be national rather than regional like the Tier changes.

However, the new measures could be imposed as early as tonight with MPs given a retrospective say.

National lockdown: PM must close schools, borders and BAN household mixing for 3 months, ex-health sec Hunt demands





READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more