Speaking Of Asia Ep 3: The great Asian gold rush
Synopsis: Join The Straits Times’s associate editor Ravi Velloor, in this series of podcasts based on his weekly columns on Asian issues, as he distils his experience from four decades of covering the continent.
In this third episode, he discusses the burst of wealth that is taking place in Asia, from Japan to the Middle East, and how European and American lenders are rushing in to manage the money of wealthy Asians.
1. The great California gold rush in 1848, and the arrival of Chinese to escape poverty at home (0:53)
2. The Asian billionaire boom, led by China (1:53)
3. How UBS, Citi and other banks are positioning themselves to profit from this boom (5:33)
4. The story of London banks like HSBC and StanChart, that are pivoting to tackle this phenomenon (7:12)
5. Career opportunities that are opening up in financial services (11:03)
Read Ravi Velloor’s columns: https://www.straitstimes.com/authors/ravi-velloor
Produced by: Ravi Velloor (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ernest Luis and Fa’izah Sani
Edited by: Hadyu Rahim
Subscribe to our Asian Insider Podcast channel to follow our various shows each week and rate us on your favourite audio apps:
Apple Podcasts: https://str.sg/JWa8
Google Podcasts: https://str.sg/Ju4h
Feedback to: email@example.com
Follow Ravi Velloor on Twitter.
Read & subscribe to the Asian Insider newsletter.
Discover Asian Insider Videos
Discover more ST podcast series:
Asian Insider Podcast: https://str.sg/JWa7
Green Pulse Podcast: https://str.sg/JWaf
Health Check Podcast: https://str.sg/JWaN
ST Sports Talk Podcast: https://str.sg/JWRE
Life Weekend Picks Podcast: https://str.sg/JWa2
#PopVultures Podcast: https://str.sg/JWad
Bookmark This! Podcast: https://str.sg/JWas
Lunch With Sumiko Podcast: https://str.sg/J6hQ
Discover BT Podcasts: http://bt.sg/podcasts
Follow our shows then, if you like short, practical podcasts!