Following England’s historic win over Germany on Tuesday evening, Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford sent supporters into a frenzy by seemingly confirming his club’s next transfer on social media.
Rashford, who spent the entirety of the Euro 2020 round-of-16 match on the bench, eventually deleted the tweet and later claimed his Twitter account was hacked.
The Three Lions beat their old foes 2-0 at Wembley thanks to goals from Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling, sending Gareth Southgate and co through to the quarter-finals.
It was the first time that England had got the better of Die Mannschaft in a knockout fixture since the 1966 World Cup final, and the Three Lions will now face off against Ukraine on Saturday in Rome.
Just before 11pm last night, when the nation was winding down from the celebrations, the 23-year-old’s account began responding to supporters on Twitter.
Despite swiftly deleting one reply which teased the Red Devils’ next signing, Rashford then appeared to confirm his club’s first summer swoop.
The signing in question is fellow England wide man Jadon Sancho, who has been the subject of United’s interest for well over 12 months.
The 21-year-old looks set for a switch to Old Trafford this summer and is believed to be a good friend of the current United star.
However, Sancho’s move has certainly been a saga, with supporters never quite sure where things stand – until now, days after the news of a deal finally being close.
A fan tweeted Rashford sayong ‘Announce Sancho Marcus,’ with the player’s account replying: “Yes x.”
The tweet received over 51,000 likes and was widely shared across social media before eventually being deleted.
On Tuesday morning, the Red Devils man and national treasure – thanks to his charity work throughout the pandemic – tweeted: “A little hack and I’m back. Morning all.”
Sancho, who currently plays his club football in Germany with Borussia Dortmund, has only been given six minutes of Euros action by Southgate this summer.
The London-born winger is said to have settled personal terms with United in principle, and after months of on-and-off negotiating, the two clubs have agreed an up-front fee of €85million (£73m).
Since leaving Manchester City in 2017, Sancho has made 137 appearances for BVB, netting 50 goals and laying on 64 assists.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has evidently had his eye on the starlet since his breakout in black and yellow, while the club were also reportedly interested in the then-teenager when he made the move to Germany four years ago.
The good news for Citizens fans is that they are set to receive 15 per cent of the fee that the Red Devils will play due to a sell-on clause installed as part of his £8m transfer to Dortmund.
Can Sancho help United to their first Premier League title triumph since 2013? Comment below.
Earlier this month, Mirror Footballrevealed that Anthony Martial is expected to be sold to make way for Sancho, with Tottenham Hotspur interested in the forward, who suffered a frustrating season in front of goal and on the treatment table.
With Rashford, Daniel James and Mason Greenwood all struggling to nail down the right-wing slot at Old Trafford in recent terms, it is expected that the new recruit will slot straight into Solskjaer’s first-choice XI.
Prior to the tournament getting underway, Sancho told talkSPORT : “I’m cool about [the speculation].
“There’s always going to be speculation, especially when you do well.
“It’s just how you handle that on the pitch,” explained the Bundesliga star.
“You’ve got to keep doing what you’re doing, if you keep on doing that then I’m sure that won’t be a problem.
“The main thing is my football and that’s what I’m focusing on at the moment.”
United’s new Premier League campaign will kick-off on Saturday, August 14, with Solskjaer’s men welcoming bitter enemies Leeds at 12:30.
Supporters will be desperate to not only be inside the stadium but to see Sancho tear it up and lead the Red Devils back to glory.