THE QUEEN is reportedly “heartbroken” over missing her great-grandson, as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle set up their new family life with Archie in Canada.
The 93-year-old monarch is said to have revealed her “worst fear” is not seeing Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor again – worrying they won’t have a “relationship” as he grows up away from the Royal Family.
A source told US Weekly: “[The Queen is] heartbroken over the thought of not getting to see her great-grandson.”
“The Queen would love to have a relationship with Archie, but it’s looking unlikely that will ever happen.”
The source added: “She’s trying to stay optimistic about this situation and would never stoop to casting any aspersions on Meghan’s character – even after everything that’s happened.”
Archie, now 10-months-old, has been living in Canada since Harry and Meghan’s decision to step back as senior working members of the royal family and live a “financially dependent life”.
The source also claimed Prince William and Kate Middleton are also upset to not have a close relationship with their nephew.
The source added that while the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge respect that Harry and Meghan have a lot on their plate, they feel family should come first.
Archie is seventh in line to the throne, but has not spent any “meaningful” time with his grandparents or cousins, according to the royal insider.
Buckingham Palace declined to comment.
Buckingham Palace did however confirm that Harry and Meghan would be prohibited from using the “Sussex Royal” name for their future ventures, the queen has been supportive of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision.
The Queen shared in a statement in January: “My family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family. My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family.”
“Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”
It comes as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle returned to the UK this week.
It was the pair’s first official public appearance in Britain following ‘Megxit’ as they prepare to formally step down as senior royals on March 31.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have a number of engagements over the weekend, with their last event taking place on Monday.
They will join the Queen, Prince Charles, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and other members of the Commonwealth Day Service at Westminster Abbey on March 9.
Baby Archie did not join his parents for the royal family reunion, staying behind in Canada, where the family are currently living in a £10million mansion on Vancouver Island.
Harry and Meghan will fly back to Canada after the Commonwealth Day Service on March 9, and their Buckingham Palace office will close on April 1.
The Queen’s former press secretary Dickie Arbiter branded the couple “spiteful” for not bringing Archie back with them, saying there is “no excuse” as the Queen and Prince Philip “won’t be here much longer”.
Speaking to Nine News Australia, Mr Arbiter said: “It would be a great pity if he’s not brought over. He’s not seen his great-grandparents or his granddad since last year.”
“There’s always the excuse ‘well he’s too young to fly’ – babies fly all the time, they flew Archie down to Southern Africa in October for that visit, so it wasn’t too far to take him there, so I believe that they should bring him.”
The Queen will be 94 in April and Prince Philip turns 99 in June.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.