PRITI Patel is planning to fly Channel migrants back to France, Germany and Italy on a weekly basis, it can be revealed.
At least 1,000 people are already on the list to be sent back as the Government clamps down on record numbers arriving into Britain.
Around 6,300 migrants have already made the journey to British shores this year, with the Government urging France to “take more urgent and productive action to patrol the French coastline”.
The month of August saw record numbers arrive, with 1,468 people making the crossing in one month alone.
Immigration officials have described the crossings as “thoroughly unacceptable” adding that the Government and Home Secretary are “equally frustrated by the severity of the situation”.
An Immigration Enforcement Secretariat official told The Telegraph: “I can confirm that the Home Secretary is planning weekly returns of small boat migrants to their first safe countries which have been identified as France, Germany and Italy.”
Figures from last year show that only 21 people were sent back from Britain to France in 2019.
But once Brexit is complete, the legal process for removing migrants will no longer apply.
The Immigration Enforcement official added: “New legislative measures are being developed that will tackle the endless legal obstacles that cost UK taxpayers millions on an annual basis.
“There is considerable policy work underway to address where the UK’s immigration and asylum system is being exploited and abused…
“As it currently stands, the system is inflexible and rigid, and is open to abuse by both migrants and activist lawyers to frustrate the returns of those who have no right to be here.”
Earlier this week migrants were seen sprinting off a rubber dingy and running across a beach in Kent as they arrived on British soil.
Shocking photos also showed French border guards “dumping” a sinking migrant dinghy after escorting it into British waters for UK officials to rescue.
In order to cope with the influx of arrivals, the Home Office has been eyeing up two former army camps to house refugees while their asylum claims are being processed.
From Monday, around 400 asylum seekers will be moved to disused Napier Barracks in Folkestone, Kent.
IT’S AMAL OVER
Amal Clooney quits UK envoy role over Boris Johnson’s Brexit law plans
The MOD has also offered Penally Training Camp in Wales, more than 300 miles from the English Channel.
A Home Office spokesperson said: “During these unprecedented times, the government is working with a range of partners and across departments to secure further accommodation and the MoD has offered use of some of its sites.
“When using contingency accommodation we work closely with organisations, including local authorities and law enforcement, throughout the process to ensure value for money and that vulnerable asylum seekers, who would otherwise be destitute, have suitable accommodation while their claims are processed.”