Premiership: Leicester Tigers 23-26 Bristol – Bears secure home semi-final

Bristol players celebrate victory over Leicester Tigers
Bristol Bears are now certain of a top-two Premiership finish
Leicester Tigers (6) 23
Tries: Liebenberg, Montoya Cons: McPhillips 2 Pens: McPhillips 3
Bristol Bears (14) 26
Tries: Radradra 2, Randall, Malins Cons: Sheedy 3

Premiership leaders Bristol Bears secured a home semi-final tie with a narrow bonus-point win at Leicester Tigers after a dramatic finale.

Trailing 26-16 heading into the final 20 minutes, Julian Montoya powered over to drag Tigers to within three points.

The Bears gave away a succession of penalties in the closing stages, and replacement prop Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro was sin-binned in added time.

The visitors survived a final five-metre scrum to close out the match.

Tigers head coach Steve Borthwick and Bears director of rugby Pat Lam were involved in a heated touchline discussion with referee Ian Tempest over who should replace Tetaz Chaparro.

John Afoa, a late replacement in the starting line-up for the injured Kyle Sinckler, had earlier been withdrawn for tactical reasons and eventually returned.

But more than six minutes had passed, which allowed Bristol time to recover and regain their composure.

Tempers flared after the final whistle, with players from both teams clashing on the side of the pitch.

Bears almost undone by ill discipline

Earlier, Semi Radradra and Harry Randall carved through the Leicester defence to put the Bears 14-6 up at the break.

Johnny McPhillips had kicked three penalties for Leicester and then converted Hanro Liebenberg’s try, which nudged Tigers 16-14 ahead 15 minutes into the second half.

But two quick-fire scores from Max Malins and Radradra saw the visitors re-establish a 10-point advantage.

The sin-binning of Bristol hooker Jake Kerr allowed Tigers back into the game and Montoya crashed over from a rolling maul from a five-metre line-out.

Leicester continued to push for the win which would have secured a place in the European Champions Cup next season, and gained momentum as Bristol’s penalty count increased.

Yet the Tigers were ultimately to be denied despite the vocal backing of about 6,000 fans at Mattioli Woods Welford Road.

Bristol and Leicester players clash after the final whistle
Bristol number eight Nathan Hughes and Leicester prop Ellis Genge (far left) were among the players to clash after the full-time whistle
Steve Borthwick, referee Ian Tempest and Pat Lam
Leicester head coach Steve Borthwick (left) and Bristol director of ruby Pat Lam (far right) were involved in a heated discussion in second-half stoppage time

Leicester: Steward; Potter, Moroni, Scott, Murimurivalu; McPhillips, B Youngs; Genge, T Youngs (capt), Cole, Wells, Henderson, Martin, Reffell, Liebenberg.

Replacements: Montoya, Whitcombe, Heyes, Lavanini, Wiese, Wigglesworth, Henry, Nadolo.

Bristol: Malins; O’Conor, Radradra, S Piutau, Purdy; Sheedy, Randall; Y Thomas, Capon, Afoa, Attwood, Vui, Luatua (capt), D Thomas, Hughes.

Replacements: Kerr, Woolmore, Tetaz Chaparro, Joyce, Earl, Uren, Lloyd, Leiua.

Sin-bin: Kerr (65), Tetaz Chaparro (80+3).

Referee: Ian Tempest (RFU).


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more