Premier League transfer gossip and rumours
Neymar to Old Trafford?
Paris Saint-Germain striker Neymar is again linked with a sensational move to Manchester United.
United have been put on red alert after Neymar’s former club Barcelona signed Antoine Griezmann for £108m.
Griezmann’s move from Atletico Madrid effectively rules Barca out of a deal for Neymar as the Catalans could fail to raise the £198m transfer fee.
However, the Daily Express adds that Barca could offer PSG a loan deal to bring Neymar back to the Camp Nou.
Meanwhile, United’s hopes of a deal for Neymar could be hit by their lack of Champions League football this season.
The Sun says the 27-year-old would see Europa League football as an “unpalatable backwards step”.
Should a return to Barca or a move to Man Utd not happen Neymar’s alternative options are reportedly Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Juventus.
Real’s ‘Operation 200’ for Pogba
Spanish giants Real Madrid are planning to sell five players in order to raise £200m to fund a move for Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba. The club’s “Operation 200” could see Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez be among the players heading for the exit. (The Sun)
Pep: if Sane is unhappy, he can leave
Manchester City will not plead with Leroy Sane to stay if the German winger decides he is not happy at the Etihad, Pep Guardiola has declared, potentially opening the door to a move to Bayern Munich.
The 23-year-old has so far refused to sign a new contract and is reportedly disgruntled about his lack of game time under Guardiola. He is also said to be top of the list of Bayern’s summer targets.
“Sane started just two out of City’s final ten games of last season and there have been rumblings of discontent for some time, with City’s coaching staff challenging the 23-year-old to raise his standards in both training and matches,” reports The Daily Telegraph.
“That tension has offered encouragement to Bayern as they look to lower the age of their squad.”
When asked about Sane’s situation City boss Guardiola was refreshingly blunt.
“The club made him an offer last year,” said the Spaniard. “So, I have said many times, we only want people happy to be here.
“He knows, they all know, all the forwards, all the midfielders, how difficult it is to play, it’s difficult because of the quality we have.
“I want people here to be happy, if they don’t want, they go. The desire to have him be with us is always there.”
Joelinton to the Toon?
Steve Bruce’s first act as Newcastle manager could be to break the club’s transfer record and sign Brazilian striker Joelinton for around £36m.
“Hoffenheim left the 22-year-old out of their squad for a pre-season game on Wednesday and revealed he is in concrete talks with a Premier League club,” reports Sky Sports News. Newcastle are the only side tracking the striker so a deal appears to be close.
The Toon are “light up top” following the departures of Ayoze Perez, Joselu and Salomon Rondon this summer. The Daily Star claims that in addition to Joelinton the Magpies are also linked with Southampton striker Charlie Austin.
“As well as the young Bundesliga star, Newcastle are looking at bringing in experience of England’s top flight in the form of Austin,” says the paper. “The former England international has fallen out with Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl. And Southampton have subsequently banished the striker to their Under-23s squad for pre-season training.”
Together the pair will set Newcastle back £44m says the Star.
Gunners favourites to sign Saliba
Arsenal are still favourites to sign St Etienne defender William Saliba despite late interest from their north London rivals Tottenham, reports the Daily Mirror.
The Gunners have been targeting the 18-year-old for much of the summer and have made a bid of £27m. “Tottenham made a counter offer while Arsenal were in the air flying to the US tour but the Gunners have now come back with a restructured deal,” says the Mirror, which adds that it involves loaning the defender back to the French club for a season.
“Arsenal are also monitoring Pape Abou Cisse at Olympiacos as another way of strengthening their backline. Centre-back Cisse, 23, moved to Greece from Ligue 2 side Ajaccio in 2017 and has featured 45 times over the course of the last two seasons, scoring five goals.”
The Gunners remain keen on Celtic’s Kieran Tierney, although the two clubs are currently at an impasse over a deal.
Spurs on alert for Lo Celso
Manchester United and Tottenham target Giovani Lo Celso has handed in a transfer request to Real Betis.
Citing reports in Spain Metro says: “The 23-year-old only joined Betis on a permanent basis in April, having spent last season on loan at the club from Paris Saint-Germain, but he is already looking for the exit door.”
The Spanish side would be prepared to let the midfielder leave for a fee of £68m, £20m less than the release clause in his contract, adds the paper.
Spurs are said to be the keenest of his suitors as Mauricio Pochettino oversees a summer clear-out at White Hart Lane. And the player himself would reportedly prefer a move to north London rather than Manchester.
Toffees monitor Mandzukic and Costa
Everton could add a big name striker to their ranks this summer as they contemplate moves for Croatian veteran Mario Mandzukic of Juventus and former Chelsea star Diego Costa.
Head coach Marco Silva is looking to sign two forwards this summer, claims the Daily Mail. “Mandzukic’s future [at Juventus] is in doubt amid claims new boss Maurizio Sarri does not see him as part of his plans for next season,” says the paper. That could prompt an offer for the 33-year-old target man.
“Diego Costa is also ‘ready to talk’ to Everton as unsettled striker eyes summer exit from Atletico Madrid.”
Both those strikers are in their 30s, but at the other end of the age range is Lille forward Rafael Leao, just 20, who could be another target with reports of a £36m offer circulating in the French press.
United target French teenager
Manchester United are close to signing Lyon “wonderkid” Florent Da Silva, according to the Daily Mirror, which picks up news from France that talks between the two clubs are at a “very advanced” stage. The 16-year-old is the latest youngster to be targeted by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The United boss is considering entering the race to sign Roma 20-year-old Nicolo Zainolo, who is also wanted by Spurs.
Lampard to decide Willian future
Chelsea manager Frank Lampard is set to make a decision on Willian’s future at Stamford Bridge. The Brazilian winger, 30, only has one year left on his Chelsea contract and is a £30m target for Barcelona. (Daily Express)
Rodgers warns United over Maguire
Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers has told Manchester United that there’s a time limit on any potential deal for Harry Maguire. United have long been linked with the England defender but are yet to meet Leicester’s £80m valuation. (Daily Star)