world

Polish man is jailed for 25 years for murdering and eating chunks of an unidentified man in 2002


Polish man is jailed for 25 years for murdering and eating chunks of an unidentified man in 2002 whose body has never been found – based on the word of one ‘mentally ill alcoholic witness’

  • Robert M. was convicted by court in Szczecin on Monday in bizarre judgment
  • Victim’s body was never found and he has never been identified
  • Robert M. took part in killing with four other men, the court heard
  • But he was the only one convicted due to statute of limitations
  • Main witness was a co-defendant of Robert M.’s and is described as ‘mentally ill’ 










A Polish man has been jailed for 25 years for murder and cannibalism in 2002, despite the victim never being identified and his body never being found.

The defendant, named only as Robert M., acted with four others in abducting the unidentified man after a dispute at a bar in the village of Lasko, the court heard.

At Robert M.’s instigation, one of the men killed the captive man and all five then sealed a pact of silence by cannibalising the body. 

The court in Szczecin, northwestern Poland, decided to give credence to the testimony of Robert M.’s co-defendant Rafał O. after police bugged his phones and apartment to hear him telling friends and neighbours about the crime.

The court in Szczecin (pictured), northwestern Poland, decided to give credence to the testimony of Robert M.'s co-defendant Rafał O. after police bugged his phones and apartment to hear him telling friends and neighbours about the crime.

The court in Szczecin (pictured), northwestern Poland, decided to give credence to the testimony of Robert M.’s co-defendant Rafał O. after police bugged his phones and apartment to hear him telling friends and neighbours about the crime.

Four of the men were arrested in 2017, but the one suspected of committing the murder, Zbigniew B., died of natural causes months before the arrests.

According to Rafał O., it was Zbigniew B. who cut the man’s throat on the instructions of Robert M. 

The body of the victim was then taken out to a lake and parts of his body were cut off.

Robert then lit a fire, cooked the victim’s body, and ordered the others to eat it as part of a ‘pact’ to ensure their silence.

The crime remained secret until 2017 when police received an anonymous tipoff that before his death, Zbigniew had confessed to the crime.

The police received a secret letter signed by Zbigniew B., who had by then been dead for several months, in which he described the murder and cannibalism.

Although there was no evidence, the prosecution found the letter to be genuine and started an investigation.

Police then tapped the phones of those mentioned in the letter in which they overheard Rafal O. talking about the murder.

At trial, though, lawyers argued that he was mentally ill and alcoholic and his testimony couldn’t be trusted.

However, the judge, Tomasz Banaś, ruled that despite ‘some inaccuracies’ about the events from 20 years ago, his testimony was credible.

The judge also said that the defendants had been ‘overheard by police’ making references to the crime and on that basis decided to convict Robert M.

The other three men Sylwester B., Rafał O. and Janusz S., were acquitted because the statute of limitations had expired.

Only the main instigator, Robert M. was sentenced on Monday. 

Before entering the court, Robert M. had been upbeat, telling reporters on his way inside: ‘I am waiting for this case to be dismissed, it should have never been permitted.’

However, he was stunned to discover that judges had accepted a narrative from one of his co-defendants. 

His lawyers said that they would appeal the sentence, saying that Robert M. had been convicted on the word of a ‘mentally ill alcoholic.’



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more