sports

Newcastle new boy Chris Wood's candid admission over "mad fee" £25m buy-out clause


Newcastle United have landed a new striker from relegation rivals Burnley with Chris Wood speaking about the surprise deal

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Simon Bird on Chris Wood to Newcastle United

Chris Wood admits he didn’t think anyone would match his £25m buy out clause as he became the most expensive over 30 in Premier League history.

Eddie Howe pushed for the deal to land Wood, who wanted to get out of his “comfort zone” after four and a half years at Burnley.

England legend and pundit Gary Lineker branded it a “mad fee.”

The deal has caused bad blood, with Wood’s former club and fans furious he’s ditched them for a relegation rival.

The New Zealand international says the clause which triggered the deal was put in more than two years ago.

He conceded: “I don’t think anyone thought it would be triggered.







NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND – JANUARY 13: Chris Wood poses for photographs at the Newcastle United Training Centre on January 13, 2022 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images)
(

Image:

Newcastle United via Getty Image)

“I knew it had been sitting there since we agreed a new deal. I don’t know the wording of it. Some people have them, some don’t.

“You are only as good as what a club can pay for you. In six months you could look back and say it is a great deal.

“The number on the price tag doesn’t bother me. I have the same challenge. I am very confident we will stay up.

“I was comfortable and settled at Burnley. You don’t achieve anything great being like that. To be extraordinary and take my game to the next level, challenging myself at a massive club like Newcastle was the right option.

“One of those, knew interest, was a no brainer with everything around it.

“I wanted to challenge myself. The manager pushed to get me and wanted me and I felt my presence here was wanted, and as a striker you want to be loved.”

Asked about being the most expensive over 30, and the sixth most expensive in the world, Wood said: “I was not aware of that. I have only just reached 30. I don’t feel too old. I am in the prime years of my life.”







Chris Wood says the deal will look a good one in months
(

Image:

David Blunsden/Action Plus/REX/Shutterstock)

He has scored double figures in the last three Premier League seasons and will go straight into the line up to face fourth bottom Watford on Saturday.

Wood’s former boss Sean Dyche has yet to comment on the deal, but Wood said: “For me there is no bad blood.

“I wish I’d left with Burnley further up the league. You don’t plan these things, you just look at what is in front of you at the time.

“I enjoyed Burnley and my four and a half years were fantastic. Playing in the Europa League, finishing tenth in the league. The crowd was superb and behind the lads and me as a striker. I have nothing but great memories. But this was something I couldn’t turn down.

“Eddie’s team is well known to play from the back, keep the ball, and attack. I have trained today and it is already flowing. I can do the business.






Chris Wood is the most expensive over 30 in Premier League history

“They will create a lot of chances. There is talent in our wide areas. I will look to link with Allan Saint-Maximin, playing off people with 1-2s. It will be exciting to see what we can do.

“But I am most looking forward to playing in front of the fans. The boys tell me they have been behind the team from start to finish, 100pc. I want to feel that crowd and that buzz.”

Newcastle are now looking to sign Seville defender Diego Carlos for £28m and a young striker is also wanted with negotiations happening for Reims 19-year-old striker Hugo Ekitike, rated at almost £30m.

Read More

Read More





READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more