world

Mum’s warning after daughter’s ‘non-toxic’ toy poisoned her baby sister leaving her with brain damage


A MUM has issued a chilling warning after a toy labelled “non-toxic” toy poisoned her baby daughter, tragically leaving her brain damaged.

Mum Ashley and her husband Jonathon was left baffled by the gradual changes she began to notice in her ten-month-old tot Kipley.

A toy labelled non toxic poisoned the baby daughter

5

A toy labelled non toxic poisoned the baby daughterCredit: TikTok/Kidspot
Ten-month-old Kipley was left with brain damage

5

Ten-month-old Kipley was left with brain damageCredit: TikTok/Kidspot
The little girl had to go undergo investigative surgery as the doctors could not figure out what was wrong with her

5

The little girl had to go undergo investigative surgery as the doctors could not figure out what was wrong with herCredit: TikTok/Kidspot

But the perfectly healthy, happy little girl soon stopped sleeping through the night and developed rashes on her face, leaving her parents concerned.

After visiting their GP, Ashley says her worries were “dismissed” by the medic.

But just weeks later, the mum explained in a TikTok clip that little Kipley suddenly woke up “projectile vomiting”.

After rushing their daughter to the hospital, the panicking parents watched her undergo countless tests but doctors simply “couldn’t figure out what was wrong” with the tot.

Ashley says medics then made the decision to perform investigative surgery on the youngster to determine the cause of her strange symptoms.

The terrified parents were later told they had found a popular children’s toy in Kipley’s stomach – much to their horror.

They had purchased water beads for their six-year-old daughter Abigail as a birthday gift months earlier, but did not allow their youngest daughter to play with them.

Ashely explained: “The beads arrived with no warning label, they didn’t even have directions.

“The girls have separate play areas. We did everything right. And our kid ended up in the hospital.

“We didn’t even know she had swallowed any beads before they pulled them out of her.”

The small colourful beads are made from a water-absorbing polymer and are a popular toy to encourage sensory play for children.

When they are placed in water – they expand in size.

After the surgeon removed the water beads from her stomach, Kipley seemingly began to recover and started to put on weight.

This changed her – the way she walked, the way she talked, the way she interacts with the world and the way it interacts with her… she doesn’t even sleep the same.

“She looked good,” Ashely said. “And then hell broke loose.”

The mortified mother discovered that her daughter had developed a toxic brain encephalopathy as a result of being exposed to the dangerous chemical acrylamide which is used in the beads.

“A part of our daughter died, she had a brain injury,” Ashley heartbreakingly explained.

“It suddenly hit without warning and altered the course of her life and our family’s life forever.

“This changed her – the way she walked, the way she talked, the way she interacts with the world and the way it interacts with her… she doesn’t even sleep the same.”

Kipley will tragically feel the effects of her brain injury for the rest of her life.

Now Ashley is on a mission to raise awareness of the catastrophic dangers the kids toy can have, despite being marketed as ‘non-toxic’.

MUM’S MISSION

She has created a website dedicated to informing other unwitting parents.

The mum wrote in a post: “The level of blame and shame placed on parents and caregivers whose children have suffered water bead injuries is heartbreaking and disturbing.

“Water beads should not be toys! They should not be marketed for children!

“Even though water beads are marketed as non-toxic, we learned the term non-toxic is shockingly unregulated.

“Information on disease, injury, or death from chemicals in toys is not systematically collected. And the chemical content of toys is often not readily available to consumers.

“Our story is a warning I hope you hear. Water beads should only be used for display, not play.”

Child experts have also warned parents against giving the beads to children as if ingested, they can swell up inside them while exposing kids to harmful chemicals.

The horrified parents discovered their daughter had swollen some water beads

5

The horrified parents discovered their daughter had swollen some water beadsCredit: TikTok/Kidspot
Kipley suffered  a toxic brain encephalopathy

5

Kipley suffered a toxic brain encephalopathyCredit: TikTok/Kidspot





READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more