Megan Thee Stallion cancels upcoming Houston show ‘out of respect for the lives lost’ in Astroworld tragedy in which 10 people died
Megan Thee Stallion has canceled an upcoming show in Houston after Travis Scott‘s Astroworld festival tragedy at the city’s NRG Park earlier this month, when 10 people who died as result of injures suffered in a crowd surge.
The Houston native, 26, told the Houston Chronicle Tuesday in a statement that she was bowing out of a show in the area slated for Friday.
‘Out of respect for the lives lost in Houston earlier this month, I have decided to cancel my show at 713 Music Hall on Dec 3,’ said the musical artist, whose full name is Megan Jovon Ruth Pete.
The latest: Megan Thee Stallion, 26, has canceled an upcoming show in Houston after the Astroworld festival tragedy earlier this month, when 10 people who died as result of injures suffered in a crowd surge. Megan was seen in NYC earlier this month
She added that ‘Houston is still healing and it’s important that our community be given the appropriate time to grieve.’
Said the Grammy-winning artist: ‘My heart goes out to all the families that are suffering during this difficult time.’
Megan Thee Stallion, who had been a performer at the 2019 Astroworld festival, had announced the December 3 outing before the deadly tragedy.
The outing was to celebrate her upcoming graduation from Texas Southern University, as well as the opening of the 713 Music Hall venue, which is part of the city’s new POST Houston center, according to the paper.
Mourners left pictures, flowers, candles and other mementoes to honor the victims outside of NRG park on November 7
Travis Scott was seen onstage on the tragic evening of November 5, when a crowd surge led to the deaths of 10 fans
The ages of the 10 people who died in the tragedy at the November 5 festival ranged from nine to 27; around 300 people were treated at the site and 13 were hospitalized in connection with the incident.
Almost 200 lawsuits have been filed against Travis Scott, promoter Live Nation and other involved parties in the weeks following the festival, as investigators continue to probe the circumstances of the disaster.
Lawyers for families of three people killed in the incident have passed on Scott’s offer to pay for funeral expenses for the victims, according to the AP.
Visitors were seen weeping at a memorial outside of the NRG park November 7
A sign outside the venue November 6 indicated the festival had been canceled in the wake of the tragedy