Marine win ensures four non-league clubs in bag for FA Cup third-round draw

Niall Cummins struck at the end of extra time as Marine beat 10-man Havant & Waterlooville 1-0 to reach the FA Cup third round.

Cummins’s winner ensured the joint lowest-ranked club left in the competition reached round three for only the second time in their history. The side from the Northern Premier League North West, the eighth tier, will join three other non-league teams in the third round – Stockport County, Chorley and either Canvey Island or Boreham Wood, who meet on Monday night.

It was cruel on Havant of the National League, who had the defender Anthony Straker sent off for his second bookable offence in the closing stages of normal time. Marine will join Chorley and Stockport in the third round, while fellow non-league sides Canvey Island and Boreham Wood face each other on Monday.

Connor Jennings’ extra-time winner clinched a thrilling 3-2 home win for Stockport against their National League rivals Yeovil. Jennings headed home in the 10th minute of extra time for Stockport, who were indebted to the goalkeeper Ben Hinchliffe for his late penalty save.

Stockport hit back through John Rooney’s penalty just before half-time after Matthew Warburton had given Yeovil an early lead. Luke Wilkinson headed Yeovil back in front and Stockport levelled it up again through Ashley Palmer. Wilkinson had a chance to clinch victory for Yeovil from the spot in the closing stages of normal time after Rooney had brought down Warburton, but Hinchliffe pulled off a fine save.

Daniel Udoh ended Oxford City’s cup run with an extra-time winner as Shrewsbury edged through 1-0 at home. The substitute struck in the second half of extra time after both sides had ended 90 minutes with 10 men. The Shrewsbury defender Aaron Pierre and the City midfielder James Roberts were both shown straight red cards in the 81st minute for clashing after an aerial duel.

Stevenage produced an upset by beating the League One leaders, Hull, 6-5 on penalties in a tie that ended 1-1. The on-loan Chelsea goalkeeper Jamie Cumming saved Sean McLoughlin’s penalty in the shootout after Ben Coker had put Stevenage ahead. In normal time, Tom Eaves had converted from the spot early in the second half for Hull before Elliott List’s late equaliser.

Nicky Maynard’s goal in stoppage time at the end of extra time gave Mansfield a 2-1 win at home to Dagenham & Redbridge. Maynard won it in the 122nd minute after the score was locked at 1-1 after 90 minutes. Harry Charsley had brought Mansfield level after Paul McCallum gave Dagenham the lead.

Max Watters was Crawley’s hero as they sprung an upset with a 2-1 win at AFC Wimbledon. Crawley’s Ashley Nadesan cancelled out Joe Pigott’s header before the interval and Watters finished from close range early in the second half.

The MK Dons substitute Cameron Jerome scored the only goal late on as his side avoided an upset at Barnet. The Dons extended their record of having never lost against non-league opposition to 11 FA Cup ties.

Bristol Rovers secured their first win under Paul Tisdale in emphatic fashion as they hit the National League North side Darlington for six. First-half goals from James Daly, Josh Hare, Luke Leahy and Erhun Öztümer put Rovers on course for the third round. Leahy converted his second penalty and Sam Nicholson put Rovers 6-0 up before the hour mark.

The Doncaster captain, Ben Whiteman, hit a first-half double to secure his side a 2-1 win at Carlisle. Whiteman put the visitors in control with two goals in eight minutes and although Jon Mellish pulled one back for the Cumbrians with 12 minutes remaining it was not enough.


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more