Many people were killed yesterday when suspected Boko Haram insurgents invaded Gudunbali town, the headquarters of Guzamala Local Government Area, Borno State, a security source said.
Yesterday’s renewed hostility in Gundunbali heightened fears among residents who had started going back to their ancestral homes after a long stay at IDP camps in Maiduguri.
Details of the attack were still very sketchy at the time this report was filed, but a source said the insurgents invaded the town where fierce fight ensured between them and troops for several hours.
The source said the troops were allegedly overpowered at 5am yesterday. None of the security agencies had issued a statement on the matter at the time of filing this report.
“As I am speaking with you, insurgents are moving about freely at the headquarters of Guzamala LGA, they have reclaimed the town,” he alleged.
“The attacks started last night and the insurgents burnt down the houses recently reconstructed; I believe many people may have been killed.
“Hundreds of civilians are now in Gubio town, many are in the bushes,” the source added.
A security source who spoke in confidence said there was casualty on the sides of Nigerian troops and the terrorists, adding that some civilians were caught in the crossfire.
“The good news is that there was reinforcement for the ground troops and fighter jets were also deployed, I can assure you that peace will be restored,” he said.
The Deputy Governor of Borno State, Usman Mamman Durkwa, confirmed that there was a Boko Haram attack on a military base located in Gudumbali, the headquarters of Guzamala Local Government Area of the state.
Although Durkwa insisted that he was yet to get the actual number of casualties from security forces, after he had a conversation with the police commissioner, Mr. Damian Chukwu and the Brigade Commander of military forces in Monguno, sources said several soldiers fled the area.
Just last month, there were reports of Boko Haram attacks on a military base in one of the communities of Guzamala council area where over 40 soldiers were allegedly killed, but military authorities in Abuja dismissed the report, describing it as untrue.
Confirming the latest attack on the military base in Gudumbali, the deputy governor said the armed Boko Haram terrorists succeeded and took control of the whole area.
He said, “It is unfortunate to confirm to you that there was an attack by Boko Haram extremists on a military base and other communities of Gudumbali.
He, however, called on people of the state not to panic, as government in collaboration with security operatives and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force, was doing everything possible to restore peace in the affected area and state as a whole.
Some people who fled the area told Daily Trust on Sunday what the insurgents said; “This time around, we didn’t come to attack you, just leave the town, we are here to reclaim our territory. If you like us, stay with us, we are not going to harm you”.