football

Manchester United news LIVE: Ernesto Valverde targeted for interim role with Mauricio Pochettino favourite

Carrick takes training as Utd prepare for Villarreal in UCL

Manchester United won their first match of the post-Ole Gunnar Solskjaer era on Tuesday night as Cristiano Ronaldo and Jadon Sancho scored in a 2-0 victory at Villarreal.

Michael Carrick made a few tweaks to the starting line-up but saw his side frustrated for the first hour, with David de Gea making a vital save. However, the introduction of Bruno Fernandes and Marcus Rashford from the bench sparked United into life and the victory ensured they will advance to the knockout stages.

Meanwhile, in the background, United’s manager search rumbles on. Mauricio Pochettino is reported to be at the head of that queue though, with The Independent learning that the former Tottenham and Southampton boss is keen to take over at Old Trafford – and could even do so mid-season.

If it can’t happen until summer and United follow the interim boss route until then as they announced, Ernesto Valverde is one of the leading candidates for the post.

Follow all the latest updates and reaction from El Madrigal, plus United’s search for both an interim boss and a long-term solution:

1637753330

Harry Redknapp claims ‘you can’t turn Manchester United down’

“Pochettino I’m sure would love the job,” Harry Redknapp told Sky Sports.

“But you know, Poch had five good years at Tottenham and he didn’t win a trophy either as good as he was.

“But I’m sure it’s like every one, I’m sure that it would be a job that anybody would jump at, to manage Man United, one of, the biggest clubs in the world and there’ll be plenty of people who love that job for sure.”

Jack Rathborn24 November 2021 11:28

1637752910

Next Manchester United manager: Luke Shaw opens up on Mauricio Pochettino experience

“He used to call me his son,” Shaw said in Guillem Ballugue’s book Brave New World: Inside Pochettino’s Spurs.

“That’s how good our relationship was. I’ve had lots of ups and downs, but when I was with Pochettino it was only ever up, up, up.

“He made me feel that I was the best. He’d show me clips of my games and say, ‘You could do this better’. Not in a horrible way. Not I could have done better, but I should have done better, because he knows I can be better.

“I think with Southampton he achieved the impossible. We were one of the best footballing teams in the league… I do hope that I can play for him again one day. And I think he really wants me to play under him again.”

Jack Rathborn24 November 2021 11:21

1637752447

Rudi Garcia emerges as interim Manchester United manager option

Rudi Garcia is reportedly an option to become the Manchester United interim manager, report The National.

The 57-year-old is said to have already interviewed for the role before the 2-0 Champions League win over Villarreal.

The reort claims that Garcia spoke to United’s football director John Murtough and technical director Darren Fletcher.

Garcia most recently guided Lyon to the Champions League semi-finals in 2020, including a memorable quarter-final win over Manchester City, only to fall short to Bayern Munich in the semi-finals.

Jack Rathborn24 November 2021 11:14

1637745508

Michael Carrick: ‘Manchester United win is for Ole’

“It’s not been an easy couple of days for anyone at the club and that result almost feels like it’s for Ole,” Carrick said after 2-0 win.

“We had a job to do and things needed to be taken care of. I was happy to do it and thankfully it all went to plan.

“When you’ve suffered results-wise and aren’t in good form, individually and as a team, it’s not easy to come out and let everything click. We had to show some character and fight.”

Jack Rathborn24 November 2021 09:18

1637745010

Sir Alex Ferguson not involved in search for new manager

Sir Alex Ferguson will not be involved in Manchester United’s pursuit of a successor to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, according to ESPN.

That responsibility will lie with football director John Murtough and technical director Darren Fletcher.

That is despite Sir Alex, 79, still acting as a director on United’s football board.

Jack Rathborn24 November 2021 09:10

1637744497

Jadon Sancho should be Manchester United cornerstone in new era

The goal in question, similarly, was not only a well-constructed counter attack by a collective but finished brilliantly by the individual on the end of it. Like with Cristiano Ronaldo’s crucial breakthrough shortly before, it came from Fred winning the ball, only this time he was inside his own half rather than deep in Villarreal territory and there was plenty of ground still to cover.

Jack Rathborn24 November 2021 09:01

1637744411

Next Manchester United manager: Pochettino insists he is ‘so happy’ at PSG

Pochettino, whose PSG squad face Manchester City on Wednesday, is understood to be interested in joining United, possibly even before the summer, but said the speculation was part of football and that he remains happy in Paris.

Reports on Tuesday linked former Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde with the interim role at United, while caretaker Michael Carrick prepared for his first game in charge against Villarreal.

Jack Rathborn24 November 2021 09:00