Manchester United have surprisingly been quiet in the transfer window so far, but with more than a week to go, there is still time for Ralf Rangnick to add to his squad
Manchester United returned to winning ways on Wednesday with a 3-1 win over at Brentford in the Premier League – and now their attention will turn to bolstering their ranks.
The Red Devils have been linked with several potential signings, but interim boss Ralf Rangnick is still yet to make his first addition at Old Trafford.
But with more than a week to go in the window this month, there is still plenty of time for Rangnick to bolster his squad, with the interim boss understood to be keen on bringing a new midfielder to Old Trafford.
With that in mind, here, Mirror Football brings you the latest gossip…
Hopes of signing Bundesliga star ‘very unlikely’
United’s hopes of signing Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria are ‘very unlikely’, according to reports in Germany.
The Red Devils had been linked with a move to sign Zakaria, but Sky Sport Germany’s Florian Plettenberg has provided an update on the player’s future.
The outlet have reported that Bayern Munich now appear to be in pole position to sign the 25-year-old in the summer – when his contract expires at Gladbach – as a replacement for Corentin Tolisso.
Tolisso is also out of contract at the end of June and the French midfielder looks set to depart the Allianz Arena.
Plettenberg tweeted: “Update #Zakaria: He is a potential candidate to replace Tolisso in summer. The decision-makers agree that he could strengthen the team. Big plus: He’s affordable! Moreover his move to #MUFC is very unlikely – confirmed.”
Zakaria is free to negotiate a pre-contract with foreign clubs from this month onwards – should he wish to do so – while others may attempt to buy the midfielder in a cut-price deal in January.
United ‘target’ Dembele up for sale
Will Man Utd make the top four this season? Let us know in the comments section.
Jose Breton/Getty Images)
The Frenchman’s current deal at the Camp Nou expires at the end of the current campaign and the 24-year-old has recently been in discussion over a new deal.
But after failing to agree a new contract, The Guardian say Dembele has been told to leave Barcelona immediately.
Barcelona director Mateu Alemany said: “Today, 20 January, with 11 days left in the last window before the end of his contract, it is obvious that the player does not want to continue and is not committed to our future.
“In that scenario, he and his agents have been informed that he should leave immediately because we want players who are committed to our project. Therefore, we hope to transfer him before 31 January.
“We started conversations with Ousmane and his agents back in July, more or less. In all this time, these six or seven months, we have spoken, we have had dialogue, we have made various offers. We looked at ways that he could stay with us. All those offers were turned down by his agents. The fact that he is not in the squad is no more than a consequence of this whole process.
“The conclusion in sporting terms, as evaluated by the coaching staff, is that we don’t want players who are not committed. It’s not the club that takes this decision – the coach does – but he has all our support and we think it is an entirely coherent decision.”
United open to Lingard loan if demands met
United are said to be willing to allow Jesse Lingard to depart on loan this month if club’s meet The Red Devils demands, according to reports.
talkSPORT claim United will let Lingard leave on loan if a side pays a £3.5m loan fee.
Lingard is set to be a free agent at the end of June and the midfielder may never play for the club again if he leaves on loan this month.