football

Liverpool transfer news LIVE: Georginio Wijnaldum, David Carmo, David Alaba, Mohamed Salah latest

Liverpool‘s latest homegrown defensive stars

Jurgen Klopp could be even more determined to bring in new signings during this January transfer window after Liverpool lost at Southampton thanks to Danny Ings’ goal, meaning it is now three games without a win and just one goal in that run.

Liverpool missed out on the chance to extend their lead at the top of the table, and second-place rivals Manchester United now have a game in hand as well as the same points tally, while Leicester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City are lurking on their shoulders.

It has been a tough start to the campaign for Liverpool, not only due to their wavering results but also the shock of so many injuries to key players including centre-backs Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez. Players to have spent significant time on the sidelines also include captain Jordan Henderson, goalkeeper Alisson Becker, summer signing Thiago Alcantara, fellow new recruit Diogo Jota, and midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The injuries at centre-back have been particularly damaging, to the point were Klopp is now considering a winter foray into the transfer market. High on his list is Bayern Munich’s David Alaba, who can leave the German champions this summer for free when his contract runs out, though signing him this month may prove too difficult.

Here you will find all the latest gossip, rumours and latest transfer news surrounding Anfield in what has been an unprecedented season. While Klopp is keeping his cards close to his chest for now: “We have solutions in the squad – obviously. But we are struggling still with the injuries we have at this specific moment – it is happening most of the time it is in the centre-half position. That’s clear. Some players are injured, play pretty quick like Joel [Matip] and get injured again. It just can happen like this, when it starts at one point and just doesn’t stop. So we have solutions in the squad but if we can do something in the window – I don’t know, it’s really like that. It’s a very difficult transfer window, I’m sure you can imagine. Not a lot of clubs have real money, some clubs don’t have money but don’t need money as well – that’s the situation.”

1610013884

LIVERPOOL CONSIDER CENTRE-BACK ADDITION ‘FINANCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE’

Liverpool do not want to be “financially irresponsible” in the January transfer window, according to the Athletic.

Manager Jurgen Klopp reportedly believes that a short-term solution to his side’s problems at centre-back would “make no sense”.

But an adequate addition has not yet been identified, despite reported interest in the likes of Ozan Kabak, Dayot Upamecano and Ben White.

Callum Rice-Coates7 January 2021 10:04

1610012707

LIVERPOOL COULD ‘GAMBLE’ IN JANUARY WINDOW

Liverpool could opt not to sign a new centre-back this month despite their lack of defensive options, according to This is Anfield.

The Reds are reluctant to make any rash additions to their squad and will spend only if they find the right player.

Callum Rice-Coates7 January 2021 09:45

1609952532

Liverpool’s defeat at Southampton means the defending champions have gone three Premier League matches without a victory for the first time since February 2017.

Callum Rice-Coates6 January 2021 17:02

1609951108

IN-DEMAND STRIKER ALERTS ARSENAL & LIVERPOOL WITH BOLD CLAIM

RB Salzburg striker Patson Daka has outlined his intention to emulate Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Liverpool duo Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah.

The 22-year-old has been linked with both Arsenal and Liverpool, while Manchester United are also believed to be interested.

Daka has 15 goals to his name in just 17 appearances so far this season, a return which has led to further speculation over a big-money move to the Premier League.

“To see our big brothers like Aubameyang, Salah, Mane, it’s something that gives me the dream that I can also make it,” Daka told BBC Sport.

“I can be like them. They are my inspiration, knowing that they also come from Africa.

“I think when people are making those kinds of comparisons, it’s great, looking at the status of Sadio Mane, the kind of football he plays and the kind of person that he is.”

On a potential transfer, Daka added: “The most vital thing that I’ve noticed is that the club [doesn’t] focus much about receiving big money for players. They’re more concerned about the development of the player.”

Callum Rice-Coates6 January 2021 16:38

1609950448

MATIP SET FOR RETURN

Liverpool could get a welcome boost with Joel Matip potentially set to return for next weekend’s Premier League meeting with Manchester United.

The Athletic claim that the centre-back is edging closer to a recovery, with Liverpool in the midst of a defensive crisis.

Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez are both long-term absentees, but Matip’s availability could ease some of the pressure on Jurgen Klopp to sign a centre-back this month.

Callum Rice-Coates6 January 2021 16:27

1609949842

GRUJIC ADMITS CONFUSION OVER LACK OF LIVERPOOL OPPORTUNITIES

Marko Grujic has questioned his lack of chances in Liverpool’s first-team after joining Porto on loan.

The 24-year-old midfielder spent the previous two seasons with Hertha Berlin, impressing but not doing enough to establish himself as a regular under Jurgen Klopp.

“I went through preparations with the club, after two years in the Bundesliga, I returned more mature to England,” Grujic told Kurir. “That’s what they told me in Liverpool

“But when Thiago Alcantara came from Bayern (Munich), I estimated that there would not be much space for me. I didn’t want to gamble.

“Of course, I believe that they believe in me. In every conversation, whether it’s Klopp or one of the directors, they always remind me that I am a player of great potential.

“But when I get into the system I don’t get a chance. It confuses me a little.”

(Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

Callum Rice-Coates6 January 2021 16:17

1609947889

LIVERPOOL OUTSIDERS IN RACE TO SIGN ALABA

Liverpool are amongst the teams in contact with representatives of Bayern Munich defender David Alaba, whose contract expires in the summer.

The Guardian report that Real Madrid are leading the race for his signature, though the Premier League champions are “pushing hard” to do a deal.

The versatile 28-year-old is not expected to leave in January, though, and Liverpool are in urgent need of defensive reinforcements with both Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez sidelined.

Callum Rice-Coates6 January 2021 15:44

1609945541

The Premier League’s spending power will be under scrutiny once more in a January transfer window unlike any which has gone before.

Previous winter windows have seen a steady upward trend in the league’s spending, albeit with a couple of eye-catching outliers.

January 2011, when £225million was spent including big-money moves in and out of Liverpool for strikers Andy Carroll and Fernando Torres, nestled in between figures of £30m in 2010 and £60m in 2012.

Callum Rice-Coates6 January 2021 15:05

1609944266

LIVERPOOL LOANEE STRUGGLING WITH LANGUAGE BARRIER

Marko Grujic has admitted he is finding it difficult to adapt to life in Portugal after joining Porto on loan.

The Liverpool midfielder had previously spent two seasons with Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin.

But the transition at Porto has clearly proved more challenging for Grujic.

“In the beginning, and even now, language has been a problem,” the 24-year-old told Serbian outlet Kurir.

“Among the team-mates, there are not many of them who speak English fluently. There are a lot of Spanish-speaking South Americans here, and it is similar to Portuguese.

“Felipe Anderson, who is on loan from West Ham with us, speaks good English. Frenchman Sarr, who is [on loan] from Chelsea, too. So I spend the most time with them.

“But everyone else is warm, they want to help. The mentality of the Portuguese suits me. That’s why I am trying to learn their language. I have hired a teacher. It’s going on.

“In the previous two years, I mastered German, it is a new opportunity and a beautiful side of a football career. I would like to learn as many languages as possible. It enriches every person.”

Callum Rice-Coates6 January 2021 14:44

1609943062

WIJNALDUM NEGOTIATIONS ‘REACH STALEMATE’

Reports that Georginio Wijnaldum rejected a contract offer from Liverpool are inaccurate, according to Sky Sports News.

Instead, the player and his club are at an impasse, unable to agree terms on a new deal.

An offer has reportedly been tabled but Wijnaldum has neither accepted nor rejected it.

Until he makes a decision, expect the rumours surrounding his future to continue.

Callum Rice-Coates6 January 2021 14:24