sports

Juventus chief sends clear Ronaldo transfer message amid Man Utd return links


The vice chairman of Juventus, Pavel Nedved, has sent a clear message to suitors of Cristiano Ronaldo that the superstar will be staying in Turin.

The Portuguese international is thought to be ready to move on from Juventus after three years in Italy, which has seen him continue to set individual records.

He finished as the Italian top-flight’s top scorer for the first time last season, becoming the quickest player to score 100 goals in Juventus’ history.

But while Ronaldo has continued to impress individually, Juve have not rewarded his talents with the success that many would expect from a team containing the 36-year-old.



Cristiano Ronaldo could be set to stay at Juventus, despite his contract entering its final year
Cristiano Ronaldo could be set to stay at Juventus, despite his contract entering its final year

They scraped into the Champions League qualification places last season under rookie manager Andrea Pirlo, who was subsequently sacked.

The Old Lady have also failed to progress past the quarter-final stage of the Champions League since Ronaldo joined the club.

That is despite the generational talent scoring more than 35 goals in all competitions in each of the last two seasons.

Massimiliano Allegri, Ronaldo’s first manager in Italy, has returned to the Allianz Stadium for the upcoming season to replace Pirlo.

Ronaldo has had a rocky relationship with the Italian in the past and with his contract entering its final years, rumours have been fuelled that he could depart.

No progress has been made on negotiations over a new deal so far, with a summer exit for Ronaldo previously appearing to be likely.

See also  Antonio Rudiger sends message to Chelsea boss Frank Lampard ahead of Norwich clash

This would be the last transfer window in which Juventus can recoup some of the £100million they paid Real Madrid for him in 2018.

A return to Manchester United is one of the potential moves that Ronaldo has been linked with, following a six-year spell which saw him win three Premier League titles.

Should Manchester United try to sign Cristiano Ronaldo? Comment below.

But the Red Devils face one major obstacle if they are to bring Ronaldo back to the club where he shot to fame under Sir Alex Ferguson.

That obstacle is the fact that Juventus appear to be keen to keep him in Italy, with Nedved confirming their intentions on Saturday.

“Ronaldo has been called up for July 26, he’ll be back on Monday and will stay with us,” Juve’s vice chairman told He told Sky Sport after the Bianconeri’s 3-1 friendly win against Cesena.

The 36-year-old had been given extra time off following his exploits for Portugal at Euro 2020, where he finished as the tournament’s top scorer.

United are one of the few clubs who would be able to afford Ronaldo’s astronomical wages and would certainly be interested in doing a deal.

Signing the Portuguese star would immediately put them into contention for the Premier League title, regardless of signing Raphael Varane or Declan Rice.

But those hopes appear to have been dashed in light of Juve’s decision to keep him, despite his expiring contract.

According to Nedved, he will now return for pre-season training tomorrow, with Juventus next in action on Saturday when they travel to the Stadio Brianteo for a friendly with Serie B side Monza.

See also  Ligue 1 final day clockwatch: Lille, PSG and Monaco chase title – live!

Do you want an exclusive pre-season preview of YOUR club – both in your inbox and through your letterbox? Head over here to find out more and secure your copy.





READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more