politics

Government pushed developer Ballymore for ‘months’ to remove Grenfell-style cladding from block that caught fire


T

he Government knew a developer had “sufficient resources” to remove Grenfell-style cladding from a tower block that caught fire and had been pushing them for “months”, a letter revealed today.

The building has cladding similar to Grenfell Tower, although the management company said it played no part in the blaze.

However, serious concerns have been raised by residents at New Providence Wharf who have been fighting to remove the cladding since the 2017 Grenfell Tower fire that killed 72 people.

Now a letter from Building Safety Minister Lord Greenhalgh shows that the Government had been pushing them to start work for “months”.

In his letter to the local MP Apsana Begum, Lord Greenhalgh says the owners Ballymore had “sufficient resources” to start works even before they received £8million government funding.

REUTERS

He said the Communities Secretary visited the block after the fire and told Ballymore full remediation works must begin as planned on May 10: “Which I understand has now happened.”

He added: “The Secretary of State expressed deep disappointment at the delays caused thus far by Ballymore, given that the Government has already made £8 million available to them to fund the remediation of unsafe cladding.

“I must clarify that works could have started prior to receiving a decision regarding their application for funding.

“The Government was aware that Ballymore had sufficient resources to start works in advance of receiving funding and has been pushing them to start through months of engagement.



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more