Condensation is a common problem in British homes, causing mould, damp and illness. Here’s a simple hack to help you keep your home warm and dry
Condensation is the dreaded foe for homeowners and renters alike. Creeping damp, draughty rooms and black mould is not only bad for inhabitants’ health, it can also impact house value.
Nonetheless, condensation and water build up continues to be a problem in many British homes where dated building materials and poorly built extensions trap water within building skeletons.
Research conducted by Rentokil found that roughly 5.8million British renters have experienced damp or condensation issues at some point in their tenancy.
The study found 44% of Bitish renters lived in properties with no extractor fan in the bathroom, and a shocking 31% didn’t have a window in the bathroom.
It concluded that many renters have reported reaching out to their landlords for help with the damp, but in over half of those cases (51%), the tenant received no help.
Thankfully, one trusty Reddit user has revealed a clever hack to get rid of condensation quickly and easily, to help avoid ugly mould and the potential health problems that come with it.
How to get rid of condensation
Typically, homeowners will try to remove condensation by opening a window, releasing the stuffy air from the house. However this can lead to freezing cold rooms.
Luckily, there is a way around this problem according to one helpful Reddit user.
Posting on the site, the handy helper said: “In Germany, we have a technique called ‘Stosslüften’.
“What that basically means is that instead of having maybe one window open all day (which is a huge waste of energy), open several windows all over the house for three minutes, creating a strong draft to exchange most of the warm humid air inside the house with cold air from outside.
“A cool feature about cold air is that it can ‘hold’ less water vapour.
“If this relatively dry cold air enters your house, it warms up.
“Being warmer, it is suddenly capable of taking up some of the extra humidity from inside your house.
“This might sound a little weird at first but is advocated in schools and so on. I use that technique and it works.
“Do this several times a day and you should really see a change.”
Can mould make you sick?
The NHS report that mould in the house can lead to respiratory problems and allergies. It can also negatively impact the immune system.
Some people are more impacted by mould in the home than others. These include:
- babies and children
- elderly people
- those with existing skin problems, such as eczema
- those with respiratory problems, such as asthma
- those with a weakened immune system, such as those having chemotherapy
The NHS say that mould can create allergens, irritants, and sometimes even toxins.
Inhaling or touching mould spores can often lead to reactions including a runny nose, sneezing, red eyes and skin itching.
In some extreme cases it could lead to an asthma attack.