Championship roundup: Ovie Ejaria double for Reading stuns Fulham

Ovie Ejaria struck twice as Reading stunned the Championship leaders Fulham to win 2-1 at Craven Cottage.

The former Liverpool midfielder opened the scoring after 19 minutes and then doubled the dose eight minutes after the break as the Londoners, for whom Aleksandar Mitrovic and Bobby Decordova-Reid both hit the woodwork before substitute Rodrigo Muniz scored four minutes from time, lost for the second time in three games.

However, West Brom were unable to take advantage as they could only draw 1-1 at Preston, with Matt Phillips’ header in first-half stoppage time denying the hosts, who had gone ahead through Ben Whiteman, victory.

It was Bournemouth who instead climbed to the top of the table after Philip Billing’s second-half strike was enough to secure a 1-0 win at Cardiff.

Birthday boy Max Bird set crisis club Derby on the road to a fine 2-1 victory over Stoke, with the club facing a 12-point deduction as they prepare to enter administration. Bird scored his first goal for the Rams on his 21st birthday and a second from Curtis Davies handed them a 2-0 advantage at the break, Tom Ince’s reply proving too little, too late for the Potters.

Quick Guide

League One roundup: Sunderland lose grip on top spot


Sunderland surrendered their lead in Sky Bet League One as hosts Fleetwood hit back from two goals down to claim a dramatic late point at Highbury. 

Lee Johnson’s men looked to be coasting to a fourth straight league win after Ross Stewart’s early strike and an Aiden McGeady penalty on 76 minutes. But Callum Morton’s 81st-minute strike for the hosts sewed panic and after a sustained spell of pressure, Ged Garner stepped up to seal a 2-2 draw from the penalty spot in the seventh minute of injury time. 

The Black Cats were replaced at the top of the table by Wigan on goal difference after the Latics strolled to a 4-1 win at Lancashire rivals Accrington

MK Dons moved up to third after capitalising on the 26th-minute sending-off of Gillingham’s Stuart O’Keefe to ease to a 4-1 win at Priestfield Stadium.

The Dons replaced Bolton, who slipped from third place to eighth after two early goals from Ben Wiles proved enough to give Rotherham a 2-0 win at the University of Bolton Stadium. A 47th-minute effort from Ryan Hardie proved the only goal of the game as Plymouth claimed their second straight win at Wimbledon.

Saido Berahino marked his first start for Sheffield Wednesday with the opening goal against Shrewsbury, but it was not enough to give the Owls the three points. Berahino headed home a Barry Bannan cross with just six minutes on the clock but the home side were denied when Ryan Bowman levelled for Shrewsbury in the 37th minute.

Ipswich claimed their first win of the season at the seventh time of asking as Macauley Bonne’s 30th-minute header was enough to secure a 1-0 win at Lincoln.
Crewe and Doncaster, the other two sides who started the day without a win, also got off the mark with home successes against Burton and Morecambe respectively.

Goals from Joe Ironside and Liam O’Neil gave Cheltenham a 2-1 win at Portsmouth, who replied late on through Ronan Curtis, while Alfie May’s 68th-minute effort saw Cheltenham edge past Oxford.

Garath McCleary hit a brace as Wycombe sunk struggling Charlton 2-1 at Adams Park, with the visitors responding late on through Sam Lavelle.

Thank you for your feedback.

Interim boss Steven Reid guided Nottingham Forest to an impressive 2-0 win at Huddersfield. Chris Hughton lost his job following a 2-0 home defeat by Middlesbrough on Wednesday evening, but Lewis Grabban’s 22nd-minute strike and an own goal from Lee Nicholls three minutes after the restart secured just a second league victory of the campaign for Forest.

Defender John Egan scored twice as Sheffield United extended their unbeaten league run to four games with a 3-1 win at Hull. Billy Sharp had earlier opened the scoring and seen a penalty saved by Matt Ingram on his 300th appearance for the Blades, with Keane Lewis-Potter grabbing a consolation with the Tigers’ first Championship goal since the opening day of the campaign.

Quick Guide

League Two roundup: Forest Green extend lead


Forest Green extended their lead at the top of the League Two table with a 4-0 victory at Stevenage.

Goals from Kane Wilson, Matt Stevens, Jamille Matt and Jake Young did the damage as Rovers ran riot at the Lamex Stadium in what has been their best-ever start to a league campaign.

It was a comprehensive victory for Rob Edwards’ impressive visitors as they claimed their sixth win in eight league outings so far to open up a four-point gap at the top.

Leyton Orient are up to second place after they won 3-1 at Bristol Rovers. All the O’s goals came in the first half as Theo Archibald struck between headed goals from Harry Smith and Aaron Drinan. Brett Pitman scored a consolation goal from the penalty spot in injury time.

The only team below the Pirates in the table is Oldham, who drew 0-0 with Hartlepool.

Harrogate dropped to third spot after losing their unbeaten start to the season at Port Vale. Rochdale missed the chance to move into the play-off places as they drew 1-1 at Mansfield. Danny Cashman gave Dale the lead but Danny Johnson equalised to end a four-match losing run in the league for the Stags.

Exeter recorded back-to-back victories for the first time this season as Ben Goodliffe’s own goal and a Sam Nombe effort saw City win 2-0 and climb up to fifth spot.

Tranmere made it successive home wins with a 2-0 victory against Salford as both sides finished the match with 10 men. Jack Payne’s 22nd-minute strike saw Crawley win away for the first time this season as they notched a 1-0 success at Colchester.

Scunthorpe squandered a two-goal lead and had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Carlisle. James Clarke scored against his former club to give Newport a late 2-1 win against Walsall.  

The early kick-off saw Northampton and Swindon draw 1-1 at Sixfieldsand it was also 1-1 at Valley Parade where Charles Vernam netted Bradford’s equaliser against Barrow, who had led through Josh Kay’s first-half effort. 

Thank you for your feedback.

Substitute Joel Piroe was Swansea’s hero as they fought back from 3-0 down at Luton after just 23 minutes to snatch a 3-3 draw. The Hatters looked to be cruising after Luke Berry and Elijah Adebayo’s double, but Jamie Paterson and substitute Oliver Ntcham dragged them back into it after the break before Piroe levelled two minutes into stoppage time.

Nahki Wells also left it late to fire Bristol City to a 2-1 victory at former club QPR, who had levelled through Sam McCallum after Chris Martin’s early goal for the visitors.

Middlesbrough found themselves on the wrong end of a fightback as Marvin Ekpiteta’s equaliser and Grant Hall’s own goal earned Blackpool a 2-1 away win. Marcus Tavernier’s opener had put Boro in front.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

Peterborough ended their four-game losing run with a resounding 3-0 victory over 10-man Birmingham. The visitors endured a nightmare afternoon as Harlee Deane’s own goal and a Jonson Clarke-Harris penalty put Posh in the driving seat by half-time, with Jorge Grant’s 50th-minute strike and Gary Gardner’s dismissal rubbing salt into the wound.

George Saville cancelled out Victor Gyokeres’ early opener to hand Millwall a 1-1 home draw with high-flying Coventry, while Barnsley’s home game with Blackburn finished goalless.


See also  John Millman vows to put reputations aside and ‘relish’ chance to beat Roger Federer

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more