MOO-VE over meat and bring out the broccoli. It is World Vegetarian Day today, so I have rooted out some great deals on meat-free dishes, with recipes from Morrisons.com.
There are also tasty offers on fridge fillers for all the family, as well as top buys on booze-free drinks.
Pear and parsnip soup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and diced
- 500g parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 50g blue cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the shallots.
- Fry gently for five minutes until they are softened but not browned.
- Add the parsnips, cider vinegar, pears and stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, then blend with a stick blender or in a liquidiser until smooth.
- Add the rosemary leaves, cheese and a little seasoning. Cook over a low heat, stirring until the cheese melts, then serve.
Family fridge fillers
FOR both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, snap up great deals on fresh and deli foods.
Wyke mature Cheddar, brilliant in cauliflower cheese and quiche, is down from £1 to 50p per 100g at Morrisons’ deli counter until Sunday.
Get 20 per cent off Waitrose Essential olives, 130g, now down to £1.59 from £2.
Go deeply dippy with Asda sweet chilli houmous, down to 90p from £1.14, and Asda guacamole, now £1.20 instead of £1.35.
Grab great deals on fresh fruit and vegetables including British parsnips, 500g, down from 60p to 49p at Morrisons, and a four-pack of Conference pears, down from £1.50 to £1.25 until Sunday. Both are perfect for the soup recipe below.
Get Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference coleslaw, 600g, for just £1.60, saving you 80p.
Vegetable and egg fried rice
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 150g tenderstem broccoli, cut into 1cm pieces
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g frozen peas
- 400g long grain rice, cooked and cooled
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 drizzle sesame oil, to taste
- Heat half the oil in a wok until smoking. Season eggs with white pepper and add to the wok.
- Cook for one or two minutes, stirring constantly, until the eggs are cooked and lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean with a paper towel and return to the heat with remaining oil. When smoking hot, add garlic and broccoli and cook for one or two minutes.
- Add spring onions and peas. Cook for a further minute then add rice and cook for another two to three minutes until rice is piping hot.
- Add scrambled eggs back to pan along with the soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir-fry for another minute, then serve.
Low and no-alcohol drinks
GOING sober for October? Give yourself a break from booze with these deals on alcohol-free tipples.
Kopparberg alcohol-free mixed fruits, 500ml, is £1.30 at Morrisons, or buy three bottles for £3.
Ceder’s Wild distilled non-alcoholic spirit, 50cl, is down from £20 to £16 at Morrisons.
Shipyard Low Tide pale ale is down from £1.30 to £1 at Tesco until Monday. And save 50p on Free Damm alcohol-free lager at Waitrose, down to £3.50 from £4 for four 330ml bottles.
Save 50p on Co-op 0 per cent Spritz Rose, 75cl, currently £4 a bottle. Available in selected Co-op stores.
A pack of six 275ml bottles of Beck’s Blue lager is £3 at Asda, just 50p a bottle.
- BUY two for £5 on selected V Taste meals from Morrisons, including mushroom bolognese, 400g, £3.
- Save £1 on The Meatless Farm meat-free mince, 400g, at Sainsbury’s, now £2.
- Get a quarter of Naked products at Waitrose including Naked Burgers Without the Moo, 260g, down from £3 to £2.25.
- Save £1 on Asda’s Indian-style vegetarian meal for two, now £7, which includes two curries, rice, naan and bhajis.
- Get £1 off a 780g Scratch vegan chilli and basmati rice meal kit for two at Iceland, now £4.
- Perfect for a big night in, Tesco Plant Chef margherita pizza, 269g, is £2.50.
Morrisons’ vegetarian enchiladas, 400g, are £2.50 or buy three for £6.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com