A BRIT has been found frozen in a mountain hut months after he died from carbon monoxide poisoning as he tried to light a fire, according to reports.
The unnamed 36-year-old lived in Buers, Austria where he worked as a ski instructor in the winter and a tour guide in the summer months.
The mountain hut, which was last visited on November 15, was already closed off to the public ahead of heavy snowfall and the start of the winter ski season.
Cops said the 36-year-old forced his way in and was unaware that the hut had been made winter-proof.
The chimney had been sealed with a plate so snow wouldn’t enter the property.
The ski instructor lit the fire and an autopsy has since confirmed he died from carbon monoxide poisoning, local media reports.
Two members of the Austrian Alpine Association -who are responsible for maintaining the condition of the cabin – found the frozen body two months later.
Police have confirmed they are not looking for anyone in connection with his death.
It remains unclear whether the 36-year-old had decided to seek shelter at the hut rather than make his way into the valley, or whether he had been squatting at the alpine property.
Cops are unable to pinpoint the exact time of death and don’t know how long the man stayed in the hut for.
The property is located 1,611m above sea level and it is surrounded by mountains, waterfalls and floral landscapes.
Three individual huts have been combined into one. One cabin is a small restaurant, the other is used by local farmers, and the third is organised by the Austrian Alpine Association.
Tourists can see into the Walgau ski resort and can also get spectacular views of Switzerland from their doorstep.