Brentford thrash Wycombe 7-2, Hodges out at Wimbledon after loss to MK Dons

A dejected Gareth Ainsworth said his Wycombe side’s 7-2 thrashing at Brentford was unacceptable but vowed his players would put it right. Despite going in 2-2 at the break, the Chairboys collapsed under a five-goal salvo which he blamed on a lack of concentration and focus.

“It was a tough second half,” Ainsworth said. “We lost concentration and let the two early goals affect us. Both were poor decisions from the referee, but we lost the focus we had. We had a plan and it worked in the first half, but we let them run away with the game. The second half was not acceptable and we’ll have to put that right.”

Ainsworth blamed a harsh penalty given against Fred Onyedinma just before the hour mark for ending his side’s chances. He said: “Brentford were super with their finishes. The referee was wrong with the penalty but we can’t let things like affect us. It wasn’t good enough but there were one or two positives despite a lot of negatives.

“I’m not a character who accepts defeats like that well. It hurts me big time and I will be working these boys hard this week. I won’t criticise them in public because the buck stops with me. I’m the manager and we have a game in three days to put this right.”

Thomas Frank hailed his Brentford side’s resilience and ruthlessness. “Wycombe have had some impressive results against the top sides and have only lost by one or two goals, so we knew what to expect,” Frank said. “But we handled the game very well. It was a physical battle in the first half and we had to compete and earn the right to play our football.”

Goals from Ethan Pinnock, Sergi Canos, Josh Dasilva and two goals apiece for Tariqe Fosu and Ivan Toney did the damage, although Frank confirmed the club would be seeking to award Fosu’s second goal to Toney – a strike that would give him his first hat-trick for the club and his 19th goal of the campaign.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email

Leaders Norwich were held at home by Middlesbrough in the early game, after Emi Buendía was sent off for the fourth time in his Norwich career. The Argentinian picked up a second yellow card for a needless lunge on George Saville as the game ended goalless. Swansea closed the gap at the top to four points and they extended their unbeaten run to nine games in all competitions with a 3-1 win at Rotherham, with on-loan midfielder Conor Hourihane opening the scoring.

Colin Kazim-Richards’ early goal was enough to earn Derby a third straight victory under Wayne Rooney as they beat Bristol City 1-0 at Pride Park to move five points clear of the bottom three. Sheffield Wednesday boosted their survival hopes with a fourth straight home win, Liam Palmer getting the winner against Preston. Birmingham were held to a 1-1 draw by tenants Coventry at St Andrew’s, while Nottingham Forest drew 0-0 at Barnsley.

Blackburn moved to within striking distance of the play-off places as Adam Armstrong’s late header earned a 1-0 win over Luton. Stoke’s winless start to 2021 continued with a 1-1 draw at Huddersfield, and Mick McCarthy is still seeking his first win as Cardiff manager after a 1-1 draw at home to Millwall.

Hodges leaves Wimbledon after bitter MK Dons defeat

The AFC Wimbledon manager, Glyn Hodges, has left by mutual consent with the club in the League One drop zone after a painful 2-0 home defeat to bitter rivals MK Dons.

Matt O’Riley and Matthew Sorinola struck for MK Dons on their first visit to AFC Wimbledon’s new Plough Lane stadium, extending the hosts’ winless run to 11 league games and leading to the end of the former Wimbledon player’s 15 months in charge.

Glyn Hodges (left) during a match between MK Dons and Wimbledon.
Glyn Hodges (left) has left AFC Wimbledon by mutual consent. Photograph: Bradley Collyer/PA

“It is with a genuinely heavy heart that I have to announce that we have parted company with Glyn,” said the club’s CEO, Joe Palmer. “After a strong start to the season when the team was arguably overperforming, the recent run of results left us in a difficult position.

“We need to do everything to ensure our survival in League One and after a brief chat, Glyn and I have agreed that a parting of the ways today is in the best interests of Wimbledon. I think it says it all about the man and his love for the club that we were able to come to this decision together.”

Quick Guide

League Two roundup


It remains wide open in League Two
with the top seven sides separated by just five points. Cambridge remain out in front and extended their lead to
three via a 3-1 home success against Crawley. Joe Ironside, Kyle Knoyle and
Wes Hoolahan were on target for the hosts.

Carlisle moved up to second after beating Exeter
1-0 in the Cumbrian side’s first match for four weeks. After a series of postponements,
Carlisle have four games in hand. Forest Green and Cheltenham met in the supposed game
of the day but played out a goalless draw. The home side slipped to third while the visitors remain fourth.

Tranmere banked a fourth straight win and jumped to
fifth after beating Morecambe 1-0. Adam Phillips missed a 37th-minute
penalty for the hosts, who had Yann Songo’o sent off. Salford City looked on track to beat local rivals Oldham
after leading 1-0 with 15 minutes left but Davis Keillor-Dunn grabbled an
injury-time winner to give the home team a 2-1 win. Newport also suffered
a setback against lower-half opposition when losing 2-1 at Harrogate.

Bradford continue to improve under Mark Trueman and ran
out 2-1 home winners over Barrow. Bolton picked up a welcome win
as two goals midway through the second half saw off Leyton Orient 2-0.  Port Vale were the most convincing winners of the day, scoring
four of their goals before the break in a 5-1 success over Southend. Stevenage
beat fellow strugglers Grimsby 2-1 while Walsall v Mansfield was
postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

Elsewhere in League One, Lincoln missed two penalties in a 1-0 home defeat to promotion rivals Doncaster, allowing Hull to go top with a 1-0 win over struggling Swindon. Peterborough missed the opportunity to close the gap on the top two after losing 2-0 at Shrewsbury.

Sunderland moved into the top six despite being held to a 2-2 home draw by Gillingham while Oxford continued their surge up the table with victory over 10-man Fleetwood. At the bottom, Alex Newby’s double earned Rochdale a vital win at fellow strugglers Bristol Rovers.


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more