entertainment

Brendan 'Jonesy' Jones slams radio 'fakes' and labels one station 'a disgrace'


His WSFM breakfast show with Amanda Keller has been one of the highest rating on Sydney radio since their 2005 debut.

And Brendan ‘Jonesy’ Jones has dispensed some wisdom about the harsh realities of radio in an interview with the Daily Telegraph on Sunday.

Speaking about the reason so many breakfast hosts were failing to draw an audience, the 53-year-old said ‘Sydneysiders can smell fake a mile off’.

Words of wisdom: Brendan 'Jonesy' Jones (pictured) has dispensed some wisdom about the harsh realities of radio in a blistering interview with the Daily Telegraph on Sunday

Words of wisdom: Brendan ‘Jonesy’ Jones (pictured) has dispensed some wisdom about the harsh realities of radio in a blistering interview with the Daily Telegraph on Sunday

‘If you don’t care and are just taking the money, it shows,’ he added.

Jonesy and Amanda’s show helped WSFM to achieve second spot in the FM ratings in survey 4, behind reigning radio champions Kyle Sandilands and Jackie ‘O’ Henderson.

Down the bottom of the ladder are the beleaguered Triple M in fifth place and 2DayFM in sixth.

Number twos: Jonesy and Amanda's show helped WS FM to achieve second spot in the FM ratings in survey 4, behind reigning radio champions Kyle Sandilands and Jackie 'O' Henderson

Number twos: Jonesy and Amanda’s show helped WS FM to achieve second spot in the FM ratings in survey 4, behind reigning radio champions Kyle Sandilands and Jackie ‘O’ Henderson

Addressing Triple M’s current woes, Jonesy didn’t hold back, calling the station ‘a disgrace’.

The blunt comments come after former Triple M Sydney host Lawrence Mooney was revealed to be seeking a seven-figure payout from Southern Cross Austereo, accusing his former employer of ‘breach of contract’ after the radio network sacked him earlier this month.

Mooney, 56, still had more than a year to go on his contract with SCA when he was axed from the Moonman in the Morning breakfast show on November 15.

Legal clash: The blunt comments come after former Triple M Sydney host Lawrence Mooney was revealed to be seeking a seven-figure payout from Southern Cross Austereo, accusing his former employer of 'breach of contract' after the radio network sacked him earlier this month

Legal clash: The blunt comments come after former Triple M Sydney host Lawrence Mooney was revealed to be seeking a seven-figure payout from Southern Cross Austereo, accusing his former employer of ‘breach of contract’ after the radio network sacked him earlier this month 

His lawyers lodged a statement of claim in the NSW Supreme Court last Monday and it’s believed the comedian is chasing ‘no less than $1million’ in damages, reports The Australian‘s Media Diary.

This figure could grow even bigger when other aspects of Mooney’s deal with SCA are taken into consideration, including performance bonuses, and when both sides’ legal fees are accounted for.

Mooney is being represented by high-profile employment lawyer John Laxon of Sydney firm Laxon Lex Lawyers. 

Hired: Mooney was hired in early 2019 to host the Moonman in the Morning breakfast show alongside Jess Eva (left) and Chris 'Pagey' Page (right). His contract, believed to be worth $2million per year, was set to expire in 2022, but he was axed on November 15

Hired: Mooney was hired in early 2019 to host the Moonman in the Morning breakfast show alongside Jess Eva (left) and Chris ‘Pagey’ Page (right). His contract, believed to be worth $2million per year, was set to expire in 2022, but he was axed on November 15

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Laxon Lex for more information about the lawsuit. Triple M Sydney declined to comment.

Mr Laxon previously said his client would be holding SCA to the agreed-upon terms of his contract.

‘My client has a contract which runs through to the end of next year, which SCA has brought to an end,’ the lawyer said two weeks ago. 

Issues: Mooney had apparently caused issues at the station in recent months, after clashing with several staff members including Eva (left)

Issues: Mooney had apparently caused issues at the station in recent months, after clashing with several staff members including Eva (left) 

‘The terms of that contract were drafted by SCA and were bargained for and agreed to by my client. He will hold SCA to those terms. 

‘All my client asks is that SCA honour the contract and observe the contractual arrangements which they put in place.’

Mooney was hired in early 2019 to host the Moonman in the Morning breakfast show alongside Jess Eva and Chris ‘Pagey’ Page.

His contract, believed to be worth $2million per year, was set to expire in 2022.

Lacklustre: Network executives were also said to be struggling to justify his rumoured $2million paycheck given the program's meagre ratings

Lacklustre: Network executives were also said to be struggling to justify his rumoured $2million paycheck given the program’s meagre ratings

However, he was sacked on November 15. 

An SCA spokesperson said in a terse statement on November 15: ‘SCA thanks Mooney for his contribution to the Triple M Network over the past five years.’

His exit came two weeks after he vanished from the airwaves without explanation, and amid rumours of a ‘major’ falling out with co-host Eva.

The radio program has since changed its name to Triple M Breakfast with MG, Jess & Pagey, with ‘MG’ referring to incoming host Mark ‘MG’ Geyer.

No comment: When contacted by Daily Mail Australia on the day of his sacking, Mooney said, 'Please don't call again,' then hung up the phone

No comment: When contacted by Daily Mail Australia on the day of his sacking, Mooney said, ‘Please don’t call again,’ then hung up the phone 

When contacted by Daily Mail Australia on the day of his sacking, Mooney said, ‘Please don’t call again,’ then hung up the phone.

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford said an ‘internal’ issue had led to Mooney’s sudden departure.

‘My information – which is very well-placed – says to me that it was an internal, off-air workplace issue that has led to this disappearance,’ he said on The Morning Show.

Mooney left the radio station a week after sources told Daily Mail Australia he was set to lose his contract at Triple M ‘imminently’. 

He had apparently caused issues at the station in recent months, after clashing with several staff members including Eva. 

Network executives were also said to be struggling to justify his rumoured $2million paycheck given the program’s meagre ratings. 

Issues? His exit came two weeks after he vanished from the airwaves without explanation, and amid rumours of a 'major' falling out with co-host Eva (pictured)

Issues? His exit came two weeks after he vanished from the airwaves without explanation, and amid rumours of a ‘major’ falling out with co-host Eva (pictured) 



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more