africa

Boko Haram: There are still no-go areas in Borno, Shehu tells COAS


The Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar Elkanemi, has said the fear of Boko Haram is preventing the residents from returning to liberated communities.

He urged the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Maj.-Gen. Farouq Yahaya, to pay more attention to certain locations that are still inaccessible in the state due to the activities of Boko Haram insurgents.

The monarch spoke on Friday evening when he hosted the COAS in his palace in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Elkanemi noted that though considerable progress had been made in fighting insurgency in the state, especially from 2015 to date, “there are some locations that remain flashpoints for insurgency activities”.

The monarch said no local government was fully under the control of the insurgents, as was the case pre-2015 when at least 17 local government areas of the state were effectively under the insurgents.

“We have suffered so much in the hands of these criminals, compared to the relative peace that we enjoy now.

“There was a time when we had no GSM network, no airport, no accessible roads, except the Maiduguri-Kano road, and many of our people were killed, including our district heads. Some of the district heads you see here in the palace are either replacing their fathers or grandfathers that were targeted and killed by the insurgents.

“It was a sad moment for us all because everyone was a target – be you a Muslim or a Christian. They just killed people, even though none of the holy books, neither the Holy Qur’an nor the Bible, allows the killing of innocent people,” he said.

Elkanemi said though a lot had been achieved in the war against insurgence, many things still need to be done.

“As I said before 2015, a total of 17 local governments of Borno were under Boko Haram; but now they are all under the control of the Nigerian military,” he said.

 



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more