Barcelona boss Quique Setien and Nou Camp chiefs are concerned that they’ll be priced out of a January move for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. The Catalans are expecting Arsenal to demand upwards of £50million for their star striker, which would be far higher than Barcelona’s valuation.
Barcelona have been trying to sign a new striker this month, after a long-term injury to Luis Suarez.
The Uruguay international is likely to miss the majority of this season after picking up an injury to the lateral meniscus in his right knee.
Barcelona haven’t got an outright replacement for the former Liverpool star, and Setien is determined to sign a new forward before the transfer window shuts on Friday night.
They’ve made Aubameyang their top priority, but Barcelona are worried that he’ll be too expensive, according to The Telegraph.
Last week, Arteta said that he was happy Aubameyang wanted to stay at Arsenal
“As far as I know, I think a week ago, we were discussing that he said he was so happy, that he didn’t agree with the things that were being written in the media, that he has his future here,” Arteta said.
“I’m so happy with that so that’s where I’m standing at the moment.”
But, it’s been claimed that Aubameyang would be interested in moving to the Nou Camp this month.
The striker used the Arsenal matchday programme earlier this month to dismiss rumours linking him with a move away from the Emirates.
“I would like to react to some of the rumours that are going around about me in the media,” said Aubameyang.
“People like making up stories and they should focus on what’s happening on the pitch. They talk too much and it does my head in!
“I am the Arsenal captain. I love this club. I am committed to it and desperate to bring it back to the top, where it belongs.”