Alec Baldwin sat down with ABC for an hour-long special detailing what happened the day Halyna Hutchins was shot dead on the set of his film Rust
Alec Baldwin has given his first primetime TV interview since the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of his film Rust.
The hour-long special with ABC will air at 1am UK time on Wednesday December 2, but will stream later on Hulu.
It comes a month after the tragedy which killed 42-year-old Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.
ABC host George Stephanopoulos said the Hollywood actor spoke to him in detail about everything that happened the day his gun accidentally discharged a live bullet he thought was a prop, fatally shooting Ms Hutchins.
Describing it as the most ‘intense’ interview he had ever conducted, he said: “He [Alec] was so raw.
“As you can imagine he was devastated, but he was also very candid. He was very forthcoming, he answered every question.
“He talked about Halyna Hutchins, meeting her family as well. And he talked in detail about what happened on set that day.”
In a statement released shortly after the incident a distraught Alec said he had “no words to convey my shock and sadness”.
The 63-year-old described Halyna as a “wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours”.
He added: “I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family.
“My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”
Mother-of-one Ms Hutchins was Director of Photography on the Western movie, which was filming on a 2,000 acre ranch in New Mexico when the tragedy happened on October 21.
No criminal charges have been filed in the case, but investigations are still ongoing.
Just this week it emerged that the bullet fired by Alec on the Rust film set may have been homemade.
Court documents filed by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office state the bullet was supplied by a New Mexico armorer from a previous movie where the ammunition was used to train actors at a firing range.
Detectives are now investigating whether Seth Kenny, a 51-year-old Hollywood movie veteran who was supposed to provide dummy rounds and blanks, could have been given recycled bullets from another film set.
Alec has said that when he was handed the weapon he thought it was “cold” – meaning he didn’t think there was live ammunition in it.
He has since called for police to be present on film sets in future to monitor the safe use of weapons and avoid a tragedy like this ever happening again.
Posting on social media, Alec said: “Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety.”
Normally, it is the responsibility of a set’s props master or armorer to ensure firearms safety on a film or TV set.
Alec has previously rejected claims that the Rust set was unsafe. The solicitors of the film’s armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed say they are conducting an investigation to discover if a live bullet was put in the dummy box on purpose.
Filming on Rust has been halted indefinitely and it is not thought the movie will ever be completed.
Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us direct 0207 29 33033.