At least one person was killed after a bomb blast rocked a mosque in Afghanistan’s Kunduz province on Friday (June 17), news agency AFP reported citing local police. At least one person was confirmed killed, but some media reports mentioned three casualties. Several others were reportedly injured as the blast targeted Friday midday prayers. So far, no group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
As quoted by AFP, Provincial police spokesman Qari Obaidullah Abedi said one worshipper had been killed at the Alif Birdi mosque in Imam Shahib district.
“The explosives were placed inside the mosque. The blast occurred when worshippers were offering Friday prayers,” he told AFP.
Per reports, a bomb blast has taken place during Friday prayers at a mosque in Imam Sahib district of Kunduz Province of Afghanistan – Casualties feared. #Afghanistan
— Anas Mallick (@AnasMallick) June 17, 2022
Today’s blast occurred in a district where dozens of worshippers had been killed in April in a similar bomb attack. A medic at the provincial hospital confirmed the death toll. Many media reports suggested that the death toll might increase.
Ever since the Taliban took control of Afghanistan last year in August, the Islamic State (IS) armed group has continued to target minority communities in attacks.
During the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, there were multiple incidents of such blasts in the country. One of the deadliest attacks was on April 22, when a blast at a mosque in Imam Shahib district killed at least 36 worshippers and wounded scores.
WATCH WION LIVE HERE
You can now write for wionews.com and be a part of the community. Share your stories and opinions with us here.